Monday, March 12, 2012

Two Sides to One Story- Religion vs Science Part One


To completely understand Evolution Theory and explore the scientific ideas of the creation of this World, as we know it, I feel that people need to explore faith. Though I can find truth in Evolution, I find truth in my religion of Christianity.

Creationism is the belief of a supernatural entity, God or Allah, creating the universe. Christian, Jewish and Islamic religions believe that the universe had a beginning and everything within that universe has a religious development. The theory of creationism has one sole source, one resource into the truth, in the written book of the Genesis Creation narrative.  The first two chapters in the Old Testament of the Christian Bible and the first book of the Hebrew Bible preach to the existence of God. The bible speaks to God creating the world in six days and to the creating of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. Genesis 1 depicts the very cycle in which God created the land, the water, and mankind.

Growing up , these very worlds were what my mind decided was fact. May it be ignorance or isolation, I knew no other way. I always challenged my mother’s persistence that God was the only way. But I never challenged by mother’s beliefs that God created the universe. It wasn’t really until I studied evolution and the truth behind the science.

I discovered the use of fossil in the evolution of this world. I discovered the connections between “cavemen” and myself. I discovered the connection between certain prehistoric “wolves” and their transition into modern day whales! Bet you didn’t know there was a connection did you? Evolution surrounds us. Ignorance also surrounds us. I am not trying to say that Christian, Jewish and Islamic religions are wrong and preach uncertainty. I am saying that people need to branch away and discover the science behind ourselves and this world in which we call home. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that people do need to do their research. I think it is important to at least semi-understand the views of others and their religions. There are reasons why people believe what they do and I think as high school students soon to be or already adults, its important for us to become more cultured and learn about other religions and other points of view so our minds aren't so closed off to the world.

    ReplyDelete