Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Downriver - Will Hobbs Chapters 1-9

Downriver is the story about the adventures that Jessie, the main character, has as she pirates down the Grand Canyon with the other members from 'Hoods in the Woods'. 'Hoods in the Woods' is a a program officially entitled Discovery Unlimited, a nine week outdoor adventure program for delinquents to discover their selves. However, Jessie and her other camp members lose sight of the purpose of 'Hoods in the Woods' and steal the program's rafting equipment and begin their ever so dangerous adventure. Jessie is accompanied by Troy, the boarding school drop and Jessie's love interest, who takes the reigns as leader. Adam, the comedic 'ninja', Freddy, the quiet Indian, and Pug, the giant teddy bear who feels the need to impress, round off the male program members. Along with Jessie, Rita, the NYC ring leader who controlled a theft ring back home, Star, the Tarot- reading, quiet spiritualist, and Heather, the not-so-bad girl, round of the female program members. All members. with the exception of Heather, take on the undertaking of rafting down the Grand Canyon with no experienced guide or permit, but only a Arizona Driving Map.  As the plot continues and the group progresses down the Grand Canyon, difficulties are faced and people's nerves are tested. I personally haven't rafted down the Grand Canyon, but I have rafted down the Snake River in Wyoming. My group faced whitewater, however our guide was able to navigate through. Though rapids only last about 30 seconds, I discovered so much about myself. I used muscles I never existed and I make high pitched sounds I only thought pigs made. The first few chapters in Downriver had my mind relapsing to all my personal adventures, though I wasn't pirating down an uncharted river.

5 comments:

  1. The last time I was on a river with rapids, I had Fatima in the canoe with me (small rapids) -- and you know, I could see the rocks, I knew what I needed to do to catch the current and move around them, and yet when you're sucked into the flow and everything moves SO FAST, it's amazing how quickly your plans shift to "Please don't let me die..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My words went a little like this… “ Mom…. MOMMMM….MOMMMMMMMMMMM….. HOLY SH*T!!!!!” I can only imagine having a little one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems like a really good book of what i read. Who is the author of it? I may have to read it!

    ReplyDelete